Schools and Colleges Trips – What to Expect
We have all necessary CRB checks and Insurance Policies to allow us to offer holidays for parties from schools and colleges which combine fantastic running, mountain biking and other activities with educational opportunities in this historic part of Scotland.
For example, a school in London sent a party of pupils (aged 14 – 18) and two teachers for 3 nights’ full board - dinner, bed and breakfast and packed lunch staying at The Glen Lui Hotel, Ballater, Aberdeenshire.
The London school's running/activity break included:
- Transport from and to the airport and around the area by coach as required during stay.
- 3 accompanied and guided runs on scenic off road trails (including on the Balmoral Castle Estate). The overall group was split into 3 smaller groups (each with a guide) for each of the 3 runs.
- Coaching session with a level 4 (i.e. top level) UK Athletics coach including warm up drills, dynamic stretching and training tips.
- Presentation and question/answer session on hydration and nutrition from Dr. Chris Fenn, one of the UK’s leading sports nutritionists.
- Half day accompanied and guided cycle ride –provided by Cycle Highlands, a local cycle hire business.
- Half day trip to Crathes Castle a magnificent 16th century tower house standing on an estate granted to the Burnett family in 1323 by King Robert the Bruce.
- Half day at Deeside Activity Park to enjoy axe throwing, archery and gokarting/quadbiking!
Their accommodation at The Glen Lui Hotel was as follows:
- Pupils – mostly twin and a couple of triple bedded rooms, all en-suite
- Teachers – each having a single (or double) en-suite room
The Glen Lui Hotel, a 3 star (STB rated) small country hotel, is privately owned. It nestles on the edge of the village of Ballater in two acres of wooded grounds. Many of the bedrooms have a panoramic view over the Dee Valley to the Cairngorm Mountains beyond. The cosy public rooms and the restaurant look out over Ballater Golf Course towards Lochnagar (4th highest mountain in the UK). Wildlife abounds in the gardens - as well as a multitude of birds, red squirrels and roe deer are regular visitors.
We even managed to squeeze in a trip to the Falls of Feugh as it so happened that they visited us just at the time the salmon were leaping up the waterfalls there!
We are delighted that they are returning to enjoy another fantastic break in the Highlands!
Depending on the time of year, groups of this size can also be accommodated at Balmoral Castle Estate in accommodation right next to the castle itself!
For more information on how we can put together a special activity break for your school or college, call and speak to one of the Running the Highlands team on 07768-378012 or email RTH and we'll get right back to you.